Ivane Beritashvili Center of Experimental Biomedicine (IBCOEB)
In 2010, the I.Beritashvili Center of Experimental Biomedicine (IBCOEB) was founded by joining the I.Beritashvili Institute of Physiology, the Centre of Radiobiology and Radiation Ecology (Founded in 1991), the Institute of Molecular Biology and Biological Physics and the Center of Experimental Neurology Research.
Currently, the former Centre of Radiobiology and Radiation Ecology is represented by two departments within the I.Beritashvili Center of Experimental Biomedicine:
- Department of Radiobiology
- Department of Radiation Safety Problems
At the center the International Nuclear Information System Office (INIS) has its own officer.
Scientific articles are published periodically and since 1971 these have been mostly published in the journal “Radiation Studies“ whose editorial office is located in the center.
The main activities of the IBCOEB are scientific research, consulting and expertire. These include:
- Georgia’s scientific and technological upward progress;
- the creation of new technologies,analysis and dissemination;
- international scientific cooperation;
- personnel training and retraining efforts in Radiation Safety and Protection in Medicine
- processing of the new international standards of Nuclear and Radiation Safety and the normative basis of these; noting that the I.Beritashvili Center of Experimental Biomedicine cooperates with Tbilisi State Medical University and the Georgian Regulatory Body ANRS (Agancy of Nuclear and Radiation Safety)
- providing and running educational programmes.